Growing Our Family

The King of the Castle and I have talked about adopting a child (or children) since before Miss Mini Boss was born.  But, we didn't think the timing was right until recently.  I've been talking with other adoptive parents, doing internet research and last night we went to our first informational meeting.  My head is spinning with so many questions.  International or domestic?  Are we open to special needs?  Do we want a baby, or are we ok with older children?  It feels really strange to look at a list of special needs and say yes to some and reject others...knowing that there are children who need homes.  They need their basic needs met.  This is going to take a lot of wisdom and prayer.  But, I believe there is a child (or children) out there who belong in our home.

Our castle isn't huge, but we have an empty bedroom.  We have three empty seats in the mini-van.  We have access to medical care, education, food and clothing.  We even have instant siblings and a puppy who loves to cuddle.  We have love to give.  We are far blessed beyond what we deserve...so why not give it away to a child (or children) who have nothing?

Before we mentioned this to the kids, Mr. Smarty Pants came to me to talk to me about a dream he had.  He said, "I had a dream that everybody in my family died and I had to go across the sea to go live with another family.  They were really nice and took good care of me.  But, when I got older I wanted to go back to my country.  So I went back across the sea and a wild animal attacked and killed me." Woah.  My first thought was where did this fear come from?  Is he afraid of losing us?  Then it dawned on me.  Maybe he's empathizing with children who've lost everything.  It's really an unfathomable thought...especially for those of us in America who have running water, supermarkets full of food and closets full of clothes.  What's it like to lose EVERYTHING?  

Mother Teresa said, "I have come to realize more and more that the greatest disease and the greatest suffering is to be unwanted, unloved, uncared for, to be shunned by everybody, to be just nobody (to no one)."  I may not be a perfect parent.  Let me rephrase that...I am NOT a perfect parent.  However, I can want, love, care and accept a child (or children).

So, we begin this journey.  The questions will be answered in time.  This will be a long process, but I'm excited (and a bit nervous) about the possibilities.  

My 3 crazies
 "Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless.  Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."  James 1:26, 27 (NIV)

Comments

  1. Hi Summer,
    So I haven't looked at your blog in forever and then I noticed you have been posting so I read this last post. I think it is cool you are going down this path. Here is a blog I follow for a couple of reasons...they are customers but more than that they are friends, adoptive parents, Christians and he is a Pastor in Springfield .
    http://the-z-treehouse.blogspot.com/
    Check them out Jamie would totally be open to sharing her experiences going down this path...tell her we are friends if you connect with her : )
    I'll be praying for you all
    Chris

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I am a Tebow Hater

Terrible, Horrible, No-Good, Very Bad Week